Thursday, May 5, 2016

Master Reboot

Have you guys officially given up on me?
While I haven't blogged much about our house lately, we have still been working on things. The jobs are not nearly as die hard as they were when we first moved in, but they are still fun and exciting changes. Plus we have some bigger projects that we are saving up for.
Sometimes I walk into a room and it feels good. I guess the best way to explain it would be; if I don't want buy anything for that room, or want to move items around, then it is good. If I look at Pinterest and all I can think is this room could use *incert whatever item here* then I know that I am not done.
The living room has been the same for awhile now, and the spare room is still one that when I walk into it I smile.
The spare room is bright and happy and I really wanted that same feeling in our room. Not necessarily as colorful, but bright and fun.
I have had some stumbling blocks with our house before. Our bedrooms are small and tend to be shaped a little weird. Our master bedroom, while it has a master bathroom (which is nearly unheard of in our neighborhood for an un-remodeled house) is still very small. Our room can fit a queen bed, but would never be able to fit a king, and even a queen is a pinch.
I have tried different furniture configurations,
in hopes of maybe finding a better setup, but I always go back to the original.
When we originally bought the house we had two side tables and a large dresser. We sold the dresser and two side tables and exchanged them for a small dresser as a side table, and a dresser for me.
That is how it has been.
Not awful. But not great either.
I look at pictures of bedrooms all the time, and when I started really pinpointing what I loved about the rooms, it was that the majority of them were white. They looked clean and uncluttered.
Along with working on our house, I have also been trying to actively get rid of items that we don't use or need.
For years I have told Blake that I would like a bed with no foot board. It is a strange request, but I do have some sound reasoning for wanting to change.
Our room is tiny. I am OK with it's tinyness...I don't spend a ton of time in there, so I would rather have that space somewhere else. With a foot board, our room looked even smaller. It feels like you are walking into a bed the moment you walk in the room.
So I went searching for a new bed frame.
I found this picture on Pinterest
and after some super sleuthing I found out that the bed frame was from Ikea. Of course they had painted it, but it was just the simple shape that I wanted. I was originally going to buy a white frame, but since I knew I was going to paint the walls white, I went with black.
The next step was getting rid of the unwanted bulk, in the form of dressers.
Then I started the painting.
When we moved into the house, I painted our bedroom a grey color. It was light, and I still like the color, just not in our bedroom. So the walls got painted a bright clean white.
I knew I wanted to hang a picture that I got from my great grandma on the wall since it had been stored under my bed since we moved into this house.
The picture is old and I didn't want to make our room look old.
So in order to counter the oldness of the picture I painted the wall with the most immature shape I could think of. Polka dots.
My decorating methods are very scientific.
I kid.
Most of the time I just cross my fingers and hope it looks OK.
Painting the dots took two grueling days.
Then it was time to hang the picture and put everything back into place. Until I realized that our baseboards could use a touch up.
At this point, our walls were white, our curtains were white, and we had white bedding. Sure, we had a black bed and black polka dots. But, our room needed a smidgen of color. 
So, I did what any insane person would do.
I painted the baseboards a dark turquoise color.
Surprisingly, I enjoy them quite a bit.
Blake managed to clean out a big three drawer dresser in exchange for a small one drawer side table.
Our bedroom now feels uncluttered and clean. I hope to at some point get a rug, but I am no hurry.

1 comment: