Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Stuck

Oh, the living room. My secret nemesis.
Too dramatic? Possibly.
Me and the living room have a love/hate relationship. Because our house is split entry, the staircase comes up the side of the living room, where there is a pony wall.
Attached to the other side of the living room, is the dining room. Neither the living room, or dining room is very large, but they are not tiny either.
My biggest struggle is trying to get the most of our space with out making it feel overwhelmed.
When we first moved in, we tore up the carpet, painted the walls and ceiling and then proceeded to try and make our furniture work with the space. When we bought the majority of our furniture it was for our house in Vegas. The Vegas house, was newly built and had more spacious rooms. Hence, the larger furniture fit in great.
The furniture in this house fit...OK. It worked for what we needed it to, at the time. 
I had disliked these couches for awhile, and had tried numerous times to rearrange the room to see if it could look better a different way.
I had lots of people compliment my room saying that they loved it, for which I was truly grateful. For me, it started to feel a little too busy. I didn't like our couches and I wanted something new. I wanted something that felt uncluttered and clean.
So I did something drastic.
My mom had given me money, as a gift, to buy something that I wanted, that I typically wouldn't buy. The only thing that I knew I wanted was a couch. Obviously couches are more...so...I sold all of our living room furniture. With the exception of my vintage orange chair. Then I used the money to buy my new couch.
We looked around for couches that we liked. I wanted it to have straight lines, be comfortable but not too fluffy, and still be able to sit three people.
We found this leather couch from RC Willey. I was nervous about having a light colored leather couch...but -spoiler-...I loved it, and I still love it.
The couch was in, and the room was definitely simple, but I still didn't love it.
So I did what any none sane person does...I moved around furniture.
Sometimes I would add in a chair,
or try the "divide and conquer", 
I found a coffee table that was in rough shape...so I tried that too.
This layout was the one that I liked the best, so it stuck around.
This cabinet was originally in the kids toy room but I thought I would give it a try in the living room.
I liked that it wasn't too big, and that it seemed to ground that side of the room.
But, I still wasn't completely happy.
I figured since I has changed the furniture, and the decor, and even the style, that it couldn't be any of those things. The only thing left, that I could think of, was the paint.
I love color.
Me and color are besties. 
So, when I proposed that I was going to paint the room white, Blake probably thought I was joking.
I wasn't.
I got the room all ready to paint, and then I just went for it.
What you can't really see in these pictures is that the wall that I painted white is the whole depth of our house. It goes into the dining room.
In the dining room is a large mirror.
Separating the two rooms has always been a little of a challenge for me.
"Where do I hang art, that I want to be in the living room, and not look like it is part of the dining room?" "Will it look weird to have a big mirror, some space, and then some more art?"
My solution? Separate the rooms with a stripe.
Oh how I wish this were the end of the living room saga!
Alas...no.
I felt like the very hungry caterpillar that was still hungry. Something just didn't seem right.
Along the way I traded the wood dresser for a hutch
and I traded the black chair for a white one.
My living room felt dark, and full of wood,
...and maybe even a little old? I don't know.
I needed lighter colors.
I tested colors for the stripe.
Nope. That wasn't going to fix my problem either.
After reading an article it occurred to me that perhaps I just needed to eliminate some colors. Streamline, if you will. I also realized while looking at pictures of other rooms, that I like rooms with lots of white.
So I got rid of the hutch and traded it for another dresser, this time with white. (I may eventually paint all the drawers white, but I haven't committed to that yet.) I also changed the rug, the brown cabinet at the top of the stairs, and I painted over the stripe.
There are lots of plants around. I seem to not be able to stop buying them. Our house is going to look like a jungle soon.
I love having fun things to look at in rooms. I appreciate that special thing that you won't see in other people's houses...
Like metal frogs used to hold photos.
Or a random collection of globes in the corner.
Maybe a little piggy bank that looks like it could be in Toy Story,
or a mask from Mystere and a brass cricket to remind me of our living in Vegas.
Since the room has changed, which I will admit hasn't been a real long time, I have really liked it.
It feels colorful, but not too busy.
Before:
After: 

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the rug. Where did you get it? I was afraid for a minute there that you were going to say that you had sold your couch. First dibs if it ever comes to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie! I got the rug from Joss and Main. I was a little nervous about ordering it online cause I wondered if it was going to be the wrong color. Thankfully it was a good deal so I couldn't pass it up. I really like it. My couch is sticking around. I love love love it. It is so comfortable. You should just buy one like mine. 😉

      Delete